Apr 29, 2009

Delete, Goodbye Forever! My so called Friend

I deleted quit a few people off my Facebook friends List yesterday and I'm happy with the number I have now. I'm not trying to win any popularity contest. And no one should be offended or upset if they get taken off as a friend. It's life. Everyone does it and everyone has it happen to them, for various reasons. I know my name has been take off at times. Yikes!

This whole social networking thing is beginning to swallow my humanity. Being friends with certain people I haven’t talk to in years is too impersonal for me, and to be bombarded with pictures and comments on my wall of acquaintances and their friends' activities feels like I'm intruding on their privacy and frankly I could care less to respond. There's some people that have tried to add me that I know, but I've rejected the invite, These are people (mainly from the past) whom I'd never really talk to in real life. If I ever bumped into them, there wouldn't be a friendly comfortable conversation. When I see people with lot's of friends on their list, I wonder and think what percentage of those people are actually friends they know, or people they'd actually talk to in real life. Sorry to be so pessimistic Ha!, I like facebook, but some people do take it overboard.

The term “Friends” on facebook is a loose term because a person’s definition of a friend all depends on how they use it.

For me, I have facebook because it help me stay more socially connected (through events, photos, and feeds) with people, "My Friends" I really like and care about, but don't see much because of distance. And because of Facebook, I have connected with several wonderful classmates, I thought I'd never had the chance to get to know. and can't wait to meet again.

I don’t use Facebook as an alternate universe for real life, New friends still come from real world connections. Facebook just provides the infrastructure to make them work better.

The real value I get from facebook is;

"Staying connected with Family and old Friends I care about."

2 comments:

Marie said...

You go Girl!

Jody said...

:) Norma I love that you are so honest... I am so glad we have become blogger, facebook, lifetime friends! Love Ya!